Thursday, July 16, 2009

Modern, Postmodern, Emergent

There are times I really don't recognize the world in which I live. It looks like the one I grew up in. There are still institutions and soundtracks that I recognize, but something is amiss. When I talk to some of my younger friends or read their books (Blue Like Jazz being just one example), I feel like we are using the same words but speaking a totally different language.

I know the world is different. The Cold War is over (we won, by the way) and new threats are present. Demographics are changing. Things are evolving. I recognize that.

However, I believe in a Jesus Christ who is the same yesterday, today and forever. I believe in eternal truths. I believe in absolutes. I thought those were basic Christian beliefs.

I have met people who call themselves Christians and use the same "Christian" jargon I use, but our perspectives are worlds apart. This mystified me. The posters at this link helped me understand.

No comments: