Monday, November 12, 2012

Bounds of Habitation

"And hath made of one blood all nations of men for to dwell on all the face of the earth, and hath determined the times before appointed, and the bounds of their habitation."  ~ Luke 17:26

Our congregation rejoiced this past Sunday when a couple from India, whom we have grown to love, joined our church family.  After Pravin and Abarna had assented to the membership vows, my husband cited this verse in Acts.  I was struck by the realization we were seeing a fulfillment of this truth right before our eyes.  They were my brother and sister in Christ; we were joined in the "one blood" of the church.  The LORD had ordained that this Indian couple's "bounds of habitation" would extend to Kentucky and enrich my own habitation.

I confess my mind wandered a little during the next hymn.  I thought of all the wonderful people who have been placed in my life from all points of the compass within the United States and of those wonderful unique friendships with people in far off lands such as Taiwan, South Korea, Hong Kong, Russia, Germany, Thailand, Afghanistan, and more.  I smiled at this thought as Elder Brian O'Leary read the scripture readings with his trademark Irish lilt. I am smiling now as I type in anticipation of future new friends whose predetermined bounds of habitation will overlap my own.

No comments: