Thursday, January 24, 2013

Letting Go of Dad's Quarters

I put a handful of Bicentennial Quarters in my change jar this morning.  While that may not seem worthy of a blog post, it is.

For years I made my parents Christmas Stockings.  My Dad and I had a longstanding deal:  He kept me in Chanel No. 5 and I made sure any "wheathead" pennies and bicentennial quarters I came across during the year were in his stocking. The first year I did this I found a tiny box in which to place the coins.  Dad labeled it "My Money" and that box was used every year.

Dad entered Heaven eight years ago, but I have continued to collect bicentennial quarters.  I'm sure a psychologist would have a field day with the reasons why, but for me it was just because every time I saw one it made me think of Dad.  And that was always a good thing.

These quarters are worth 25 cents; there's no added numismatic value for these circulated coins.  Dad had a tin can he threw change in that said, "A Penny Saved is a Penny."  Nothing more.  So today these 1976 quarters joined other spare change in our coin jar.  I think Dad would approve.

No comments: