Saturday, May 31, 2014

Daydreams of Being Wealthy

We recently watched the remake of one of my favorite classic movies, The Secret Life of Walter Mitty.  Ben Stiller's version was thoughtful and fun, but I still prefer the whimsy and comedic touch of Danny Kaye as he played the mild-mannered man who daydreams himself into exciting situations and opportunities.

I relate to Walter. I often daydream about writing the great American novel or finally making an edible roast beef (don't ask!).  I guess my most frequent daydream is of being extraordinarily wealthy and the opportunities that would afford:  Unlimited travel, treating my friends to things, paying for a great kid's college, buying a boat...the list goes on and on.

I once read a quote by Warren Buffett, one of the richest men in the world, about his multibillion dollar charitable contributions, "There is more than one way to get to heaven, but this is a great way."

I realized then and there that I was already extraordinarily wealthy.  I have the "pearl of great price" that all of Mr. Buffett's billions couldn't purchase.  I have a guarantee of heaven that was given to me because "God so loved the world that He gave His only Son that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life."  (John 3:16)

"For what profit is it to a man if he gains the whole world and loses his own soul?  Or what will a man give in exchange for his soul?"  Matthew 16:26

No comments: