Monday, April 07, 2008

In Memory of Charlton Heston

1984 was a magical year for me. My interest in politics and major in communications at the University of Louisville combined to present wonderful opportunities. The best opportunity was seeing President Ronald Reagan speak after the Louisville Debate from a front and center second floor position in the Atrium of the Hyatt Regency!

A close second favorite opportunity was the privilege of meeting Moses - Charlton Heston. Mr. Heston was campaigning for President Reagan and I attended one of the publicity stops. I eagerly stood in line for a chance to shake this iconic actor's hand, fully expecting to be rushed through and barely get a chance to glimpse his face. I couldn't have been more wrong.

Mr. Heston treated all those in line with equal respect. He stopped, shook your hand and looked you right in the eye while making a point to speak to you and exchange brief pleasantries. He did this for each and every person in line. He was warm and gracious.


While I admired his work as a thespian and agreed with and respected his work in the political arena, I was thrilled to find meeting the man didn't disappoint me in the least.

For biographical sketch, go here.

No comments: