Monday, August 21, 2006

Family Ties

My hubby preached at a sister church this past weekend. We drove up the night before to stay with one of the families in the church.

There's always a bit of trepidation when staying with strangers. There are the awkward first few moments of breaking the ice and finding each other's rhythms and styles. Then, conversation begins and Christians start being drawn to each other. The Spirit in them and the Spirit in us knits our hearts together. In short order, strangers become friends.

This happens so often, the immediate sense of connection, the "I just had a feeling about you" when learning someone you've just met shares your faith. This is a fun aspect of the Christian life!

I'm so glad I'm a part of the family of God. . . I always thought that song was a little hokey. Corny or not, I agree with its sentiment. I'm grateful for the Christian family I have and the extended family members I meet from day to day.

Blest be the ties that bind
Our hearts in Christian love.
The fellowship of kindred minds
Is like to that above.

No comments: