Wednesday, August 09, 2006

Grey Matters

They say confession is good for the soul. Well, here goes: I love Grey's Anatomy. I shouldn't love Grey's Anatomy. I shouldn't even like Grey's Anatomy. We probably shouldn't even be on a first name basis, but we are. I care about Izzie. I have a love/hate relationship with Alex. I want to tell George to get a grip and be a man, but I care about the twit. (And I believe Callie washed her hands.) I put up with Christina because I believe behind her brash, cold exterior is a woman full of fear. I like Dr. Burke. I love Bailey! The only character I don't care much about is the show's namesake, Meredith Grey. I'm trying to be understanding of her poor choices, but I just haven't become invested in the character. Actually, I've come to like Addison better than Meredith. (Maybe it's jealousy - she gets to choose between Derek and Finn, McDreamy or McVet, talk about a win/win situation.)

This show is my guilty pleasure. It's full of immorality. It's full of moral relativism. But, it's often also full of insightful commentary on human nature. I like that there are no black hats and white hats. The heroes and heroines on this show come with flaws. I relate to that. I see myself in the Apostle Paul's grieving that what he doesn't want to do, he does and what he does want to do, he doesn't.

I've been a Christian for decades, but sometimes I feel I'm still in the internship phase. I'm still making silly mistakes. I have those rare flashes of spiritual brilliance followed by extended periods of sinful stupidity. Like Grey's interns, I press on. I learn and, hopefully, I grow.

And I spend moments of my summer wondering what's in store for Izzie.

1 comment:

RosieBoo said...

Beautiful! I don't watch Grey's, but many a show I watch can fall right in that same category!