Tuesday, November 14, 2006

Growing up with Luke & Laura

This Thursday, November 16, at 3 p.m., I will be sitting in front of my TV watching the "remarriage" of Lucas Lorenzo Spencer and Laura Webber Baldwin Spencer (Wait! Was she married to a Cassadine or just kidnapped by one? Hmmm. . .)

I was one of the millions of fans in the late 70s and early 80s who were captivated by the star-crossed lovers. These were the pre-VCR/Tivo days, so from September to May, I would rush home from high school to catch the last 10-15 minutes of the soap. During the summer, the world stopped between 3 and 4 p.m. to watch the "Lovers on the Run" and later the "Ice Princess" saga.

They were a phenomenon - Elizabeth Taylor crashed the wedding! General Hospital's ratings surpassed most primetime shows during the L&L heyday! Theirs was a love-conquers-all story with the fairytale wedding. Alas, it was a soap after all, so happiness was shortlived. My fascination waned (although there was that Robert Scorpio cutie. . .), college was more fun than sitting in front of a TV, and Luke and Laura and I went our separate ways.

As Luke, Anthony Geary's trademark curls are shorn and his hair is grey. Gene Francis' "Laura" is now a grandmother. We've gotten old together. So Thursday, I will reminisce with old friends and throw some rice at my TV.

Happy 25th, Luke & Laura!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I missed the L&L era because I was glued to The Guiding Light, with budding actors like Kevin Bacon in the cast...long before we counted Six Degrees to get to him. teehee