Saturday, December 30, 2006

A Year In Review, Part 1

It’s that time of year again – time for taking stock of one year and planning for the next. I’m sharing my attempts at this process with you! This year was full of wonderful blessings and opportunities.

Bobby was again asked to be a chaperone on the TCA Senior Trip (and I got to tag along) which meant we had a free trip to Charleston and Hilton Head!





Another great blessing was an elder’s willingness to give up a Saturday to come and cut down a tree for us!





The most memorable thing for me this year happened in June! We went with my mom on a dream vacation out West: flew into Las Vegas, over to Zion National Part(Utah), north rim of the Grand Canyon (AZ) and Bryce Canyon (Utah) ,









then made a loop through Colorado, which is just one big postcard – So beautiful! From Marroon Bells to the Continental Divide. . .
















Up to Rocky Mountain National Park, the Alpine Station and Bear Lake










We loved Estes Park and discovered a surprisingly entertaining Ghost Town Museum in Colorado Springs:










Then it was the nerve-testing trek up Pike's Peak! But the view was worth it:












Our Colorado adventure continued with a drive along the Million Dollar Highway (which scared me to death!) and a walk across the Royal Gorge Bride (which scared Mom and Bobby!)











Next was The Black Canyon of the Gunnison, our nation's newest national park:















From there we made a side trip to New Mexico where I had a reunion with a couple I had stayed with 20 years ago during my summer missionary days. I loved seeing Aunt Frannie and Virgil again (almost 20 years to the day I had first met them). Seeing the green gate leading to their home was a very special moment for me.


The trip ended with a stop at the South Rim of the Grand Canyon before flying back out of Vegas.


As a child in the 60s/70s, I remember watching the Wonderful World of Disney and hearing Rex Allen narrate tours of the National Parks. It was simply wonderful to see some of them in person!

No comments: