Saturday, December 23, 2006

And the Beatty's Top Christmas Movie Is

White Christmas!

Start with a classic Christmas song, throw in Bing Crosby, Danny Kaye and Rosemary Clooney, mix well. Add heaping spoonfuls of delicious Irving Berlin songs and you have a Yuletide treat for the ages.

We love everything about this movie! Bobby and I both are a bit of WWII buffs, enamored with the Greatest Generation’s era, so a sentimental story about a good-guy WWII general and his ever-loyal men is right up our alley. And, as an added bonus, you also get a romantic comedy and wonderful dance sequences!


I have always said Gene Kelly was my favorite dancer, but each year when I watch Danny Kaye dancing to The Best Things Happen While You’re Dancing I feel the need to rethink my position. He seems to be doing the number effortlessly – just out having some fun. Keep in mind the long takes and admiration for Kaye’s dancing ability is doubled!

[Aside: The film is shot like a play with long scenes film through one camera – notice how few cutaways there are!)

Tap dancing!!! I love tap dancing (which is why I think the Choreography number is such a hoot). Mandy, there’s a minister handy. . . I just want to get up and dance with them! And then there's the black dress. Oh my goodness! I love that dress.


My favorite song, however, is Count Your Blessings:

When I’m worried and I can’t sleep,
I count my blessings instead of sheep,
And I fall asleep counting my blessings.
When my bankroll is getting small,
I think of when I had none at all,
And I fall asleep counting my blessings.

That’s just such a good reminder when I start to get down – I have so much for which to be grateful.

The movie draws to a close with a reprise of a song performed at the beginning of the film, only this time it’s twice the heart-tugging moment. When retired Major General Thomas Waverly sees his old command appearing before his eyes (in a display of love and continuing loyalty), he tears up – I flat out cry! Even after all these years, knowing all the songs (and most of the dialogue!), I still cry when the “old man” is serenaded:

We’ll follow the old man wherever he wants to go
As long as he wants to go opposite to the foe
We’ll stay with the old man wherever he wants to stay
As long he stays away from the battle’s fray
Because we love him, we love him
Especially when he keeps us on the ball
And we’ll tell the kiddies we answer duties' call
With the grandest son of a soldier of them all.
Of course, the finale is the ensemble singing White Christmas as the long-needed snow falls on the inn grounds on Christmas Eve.

Interested in some White Christmas trivia? Go here.

No comments: